We all love our grandma and she has lots of importance in our lives. Who can forget all of grandma’s love and care, especially her delicious food? I don’t have too many memories with my grandma, but I do remember whenever we used to visit her; she used to cook some fantastic dishes for us.
Out of all of them, one of my favourite is crunchy cauliflower cheese. Although my mom taught me this recipe, she did learn it from grandma. The recipe is simple; it doesn’t require too many ingredients
Even today, when I make this dish, it reminds me of my lovely grandma and what an outstanding cook she was. It gives me nostalgia which makes this dish even more special.
Let me share with you the epic recipe of grandma’s special crunchy cauliflower cheese.
Cauliflower 1 (about 1kg/2lb 4oz)
Cheese sauce 300g
Mexican cheese 100g (shredded)
Toasted and crushed hazelnut 25g
Fresh breadcrumb 50g
Salt and pepper to taste
Milk 500 ml
The crunchy cauliflower cheese can be cooked in a grill or oven. Whichever you choose the final result will be the same – crunchy and delicious. Before you start preparing for this dish, you need to heat the grill/oven for the final step.
- First, you need to break the cauliflower into florets. Try to break them in evenly sized.
- Take a large saucepan and fill it with water. Now boil the water on a high flame and wait until it starts to boil.
- Drop all the florets of cauliflower into the pan and boil for about 5-7 mins. Let them rest aside.
- Take a pan and mix the cheese sauce with milk. Now, heat the mixture, add salt, pepper, half of the Mexican shredded cheese, hazelnuts and half of breadcrumbs. Mix all the ingredients properly. You don’t have to boil the mixture just heat enough to melt all cheese.
- Drain the cauliflower’s florets and place in the baking dish. Pour all warmed sauce over the cauliflower covering it evenly. Sprinkle the shredded cheese and breadcrumbs.
- Finally, put it under the grill for 5 mins until you see the cheese bubble and golden crusty breadcrumb. Or, Bake in a preheated oven for 20-25 minutes at 200°C.
My grandma used to make this dish with some amazing Mexican cheeses; I may not have exactly same cheeses to use but to make this dish a bit more authentic, I use Mexican Shred Blend by Pure Dairy. This cheese blend reminds me of my grandma’s place in Mexico.
It melts quickly and tastes amazing on anything hot or cold. If you want to get the best Mexican shredded cheese in Australia, look no further than Pure Dairy. Contact them, and one of their team members will get back to you with the details of the nearest distributor.